Mandy Malone is on her way to Timber Ridge for a prescribed vacation with Sis and Gramps. When a rogue blizzard strands the bus passengers at Cedar Lake Mansion Bed and Breakfast, the murder of a young woman turns the ski trip into an accusatory nightmare. All the travelers, including the innkeepers, are murder suspects. Mandy reluctantly becomes the so-called detective and must find the murderer before another life is taken.
However, Mandy could not prevent another death nor stop the killer from going after her with the same deadly intention. During the final battle it becomes clear who the murderer is and their motive.
Can you solve the crime before the sleuth? Are you astute enough to tell a red herring from a real clue? If so, then follow along and see if you can solve the crime before the detective does.
Shall we play a game?
Rules of the game.
I, the author and puzzle-maker, will follow the 10 commandments of detective fiction put forth by Ronald Knox during the Golden Age of detective fiction.
- The criminal must be mentioned in the early part of the story, but must not be anyone whose thoughts the reader has been allowed to know.
- All supernatural or preternatural agencies are ruled out as a matter of course.
- Not more than one secret room or passage is allowable.
- No hitherto undiscovered poisons may be used, nor any appliance which will need a long scientific explanation at the end.
- No evil mysterious stock character must figure in the story.
- No accident must ever help the detective, nor must he ever have an unaccountable intuition which proves to be right.
- The detective himself must not commit the crime.
- The detective is bound to declare any clues which he may discover.
- The “sidekick” of the detective, the Watson, must not conceal from the reader any thoughts which pass through his mind: his intelligence must be slightly, but very slightly, below that of the average reader.
- Twin brothers, and doubles generally, must not appear unless we have been duly prepared for them.
FICTION / Mystery & Detective / Women Sleuths
FICTION / Thrillers / Crime
FICTION / Thrillers / Suspense
- Ebook: $2.99
- Paperback: $9.99
- Series: A Black Water Whodunit
- Length: Novella
- Pages: 144
- Published: 2017